Welcome to Annet House Museum and Garden
Home of Linlithgow’s History
Combine a great day out at Annet House Museum discovering the rich history of the Royal Burgh Of Linlithgow and enjoy the peace and tranquility of the Museum Garden.
With free entry for all visitors, the Museum offers something for everyone:
- Exhibitions on the history of the picturesque and historic location of Linlithgow
- Intriguing Artefacts
- Beautiful Garden to wander around
- Children's Maze
There is no better time to visit this extraordinary vision of the past of Linlithgow – one of Scotland’s oldest and most important Royal Burghs, leader in civic affairs, military stronghold and playground of kings – and a queen.
Our museum is based at Annet House, a large Georgian town dwelling and garden in the High Street, and tells the story of the town, as well as the folk who supported, fought about, and witnessed the great events at the Burgh’s heart. The Collection serves to preserve this Heritage of the former Royal Burgh of Linlithgow for the enjoyment and education of both local people and visitors.
Within the next two years, the museum will move to the newly-refurbished County Buildings at The Cross of Linlithgow. This will mean, regrettably, leaving the garden behind, but will provide a roomier, more accessible attraction, with easy access to facilities in the same building for more detailed study of the history of the area, and within strolling distance of the heartland of Scottish History.
For the moment however, Annet House – and its superb and unusual terraced garden, dominated by Scotland’s first statue to its best known queen – welcomes you. Enjoy.
A Welcome for everyone, particulary educational visits and groups.
The Museum is always delighted to welcome younger visitors, of any age, and provides tours and activities for groups which always proved to be both fun and informative.
Our latest project for children is an interactive workshop which takes them back to life in Linlithgow during WW1 and is based on the experiences of a real Linlithgow family. Although aimed at Groups in the P6/P7 this experience can be customised to suit most ages.
Get Involved in this new project
The move presents exciting new opportunities to update the existing museum displays which are 25 years old.
- Take advantage of increased exhibition space
- To take account of most recent research into local history.
- Incorporate the most recent developments in display technology
- Create a custom-built eductaion centre with enhanced facilities to meet the needs of the whole community.
Just use our contact form to let us know that you would like to receive information about the project as it develops.
Become a Supporter
Funding for the project
- West Lothian Council are giving support bothin cash and kind
- Applications are being submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund and also other charitable funds which specilaise in supporting heritage developments
- We also welcome personal donations. These can be made via the "Paypal Donate Button" at the top of each page of this website or at Annet House Museum, where the staff will be pleased to help you. Gift Aid Declarations are available on request.
- Participate in Adopt an Object.
We are Moving to Linlithgow Partnership Centre
former County Buildings
Become a Volunteer
We need lots of pairs of hands and diverse skills to ensure delvery of a successful project. By becoming an active volunteerthere will be opportunities to contribute to the development and realisation of the new museum.
Give us your contact details and we will be in touch shortly to invite you to meet us to learn more.